Disclaimer: This is a sponsored post for Blog Meets Brand on the behalf of The Mars Veterinary Wisdom Panel 3.0.
You all know how much my fur baby means to me. I have blogged about him MANY times. His name is Maximus, and I want what is best for him! I recently learned about the Wisdom Panel 3.0! If you haven't heard about this and you have a special furry friend in your life- keep reading! The Mars Veterinary Wisdom Panel 3.0 could save your canine's life. What does this test do? There are several things that you should know.
- This test Provides ancestry information back to the great-grandparent level, MDR1 Genetic Mutation screening results, and a predicted weight profile.
What is MDR1? MDR1 or Multi-Drug Resistance 1 is a genetic mutation found in some herding and sighthound breeds, as well as many mixed-breed dogs. The MDR1 gene is responsible for production of a protein called P-glycoprotein. The P-glycoprotein molecule is a drug transport pump that plays an important role in limiting drug absorption and distribution (particularly to the brain) and enhancing the excretion/elimination of many drugs used in dogs. Dogs with the MDR1-mutation may have severe adverse reactions to some common drugs, so it is important to test mixed-breed (and purebreds with the high-propensity breeds) dogs and for owners to share results with their veterinarian so they can provide the dog with the best possible care. For more information on breeds and drugs affected by the MDR1 mutation, visit www.wisdompanel.com/MDR1_Disease_Screening.
- Covers 250+ breeds, types and varieties including all those recognized by the American Kennel Club (AKC) and can be run for mixed-breed, designer, or purebred dogs.
- Can be done at home and consists of two swabs that the owner rubs between the gum and the cheek for 15 seconds to collect skin cells for DNA extraction. This is so convenient because you don't have to go to a vet to get it done!
- Results take approximately 2-3 weeks from the time the test reaches the lab.
- Can be run for mixed-breed, purebred and designer dogs. The owner chooses at the time of kit activation.
- MDR1 mutation testing for drug sensitivity.
- The ability to develop a training program that works with their natural instincts (breeds) and a better understanding of their behavior characteristics.
- Developing a nutrition plan for breed-specific needs and/or achieving/maintaining healthy weight.
- Assists in determining what the adult size of your dog might be.
- Understanding the breeds within your dog, in order to look out for any breed- specific health concerns or common issues.
I am so happy to share this with you all! Visitors who bring their dogs to the Wisdom Panel booth at events in their area can get them swabbed on-site for a special price ($39.99. MSRP is $84.99) or take home a discounted do-it-yourself kit ($49.99). Within three weeks of receipt of the cheek swab test, dog owners will be emailed an official Ancestry Report revealing their dog's genetic background. Wisdom Panel will be at the Mars Pet Care Adoption Days event September 4-5: Mars Pet Adoption Fair in Franklin, TN – no swabbing will be at this event, however, you can purchase and take a kit home with you! This is something that you will want to attend!
Mars Petcare will sponsor up to 300 adoptions at three shelters in the Nashville area on Friday, September 4th, and Saturday, September 5th. At the adoption events, the Mars Pet Care and Banfield Associates will be present to help; a Mars Pet Care tent will be arranged to provide adoption bags to all adopting families, to include assorted Mars Pet Care items, including Wisdom Panel 3.0 goodies and coupons.A Banfield representative will be at each adoption site to help answer any questions. Additionally, the Mars Veterinary team will be supplying 12 Wisdom DNA Kits to each of the shelters. The American Humane Association’s “Redstar Rescue Rig” will be on-site at pre-determined shelters as well. Can't make the event? Visit www.wisdompanel.com/ to purchase a kit today! You can also visit them on their social media to stay up to date with the latest!